Thursday, February 8, 2018

Simple Woman's Daybook February Edition

Participating in the Simple Woman's Daybook for February
hosted by Peggy Hostetler
http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/ 


For Today
February 8, 2018


Looking out my window... 
This afternoon

I am thinking... maybe that flu shot I got a few months ago actually works. 

I am thankful... my six year old grandson does not have the flu. His mom and dad took him to the ER when he spiked a 104 temperature and nothing was making it go down. Turns out he has strep. But no sore throat.

One of my favorite things... is working and playing with Photoshop (Elements) whenever I get the chance. 

I am creating... rather hope to create works of art with the Apple pencil I got for my birthday. I downloaded the Procreate app on my iPad Pro and have been experimenting with that a bit with the pencil. 

I am reading... the New Testament using a one-year reading plan.
Also reading various daily devotionals:
One Thousand Gifts Devotional by Ann Voskamp
The Red Letter Words of Jesus by Jack Countryman
The Story - 365 Devotional
Not A Fan Daily Devotional by Kyle Idleman
Also reading Keep It Shut by Karen Ehman
On my fiction shelf, both physical and digital, are a stack of books I hope to get to ASAP.
Getting ready to start reading Into The Water by Paula Hawkins--a birthday gift from niece Sarah

I'm watching... The new season of The X-Files, but looks like most of the shows we do watch are on hold until after the Olympics

I'm listening to... tunes on my iPod whenever I'm alone in the car

I am hoping... that I along with my loved ones will escape the dreaded flu

I am learning... how to use the Procreate app. It is similar to Photoshop. There's a learning curve. Going to take some time to figure it out so I can have some fun with it.

In my kitchen... nothing cooking--we had Subway for supper tonight. But here's a slow cooker soup recipe that I make now and then that's really good:
CREAMY CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

2   cans condensed creamy chicken mushroom soup
2   cans chicken broth
2   12.5 oz. cans Chunk Chicken Breast (with Rib Meat in Water, Fully Cooked--I use Wal-Mart Great Value Brand)
1    9-to-10 oz. package frozen mixed vegetables 
1    tsp. seasoned pepper or garlic-pepper seasoning (I use the garlic pepper)
1 and 1/2 cups dried egg noodles (these are added after soup is cooked--see directions)(I use Mueller's Hearty Homestyle Egg Noodles)

In a slow cooker, gradually stir in the 2 cans of chicken broth into the condensed soup. Stir or whisk until smooth. 
Stir in chicken (I use a fork and chunk it up in the can first--don't drain), vegetables, and seasoned pepper.

Cover. Cook on low heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.

If using low-heat setting, turn to high-setting. Stir in noodles. Cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes more until
noodles are just tender.

Once the soup is cooked, I turn off the cooker, stir the soup,  and let it sit (without the lid usually) so the soup can thicken. 
It's better when it's thickened a bit. 
You can also substitute 10 oz. frozen broccoli for the mixed vegetable. (I've never tried it but might be good)

In the school room... sickness (flu/strep) keeping kids home

Board room... from my Pinterest board Inspirational
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190910471687914443/

Post Script... a neat shop on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTinOwl
Photography, Home Decor, Jewelry, Gifts
Photo art by Maren Misner

Shared Quote... 

A moment from my day... 
I'm never there. However, I have started riding my stationary bike again. Yay me.

Closing Notes...

____________________________

If you enjoyed reading my daybook and would like to create one of your own, HERE is the link to the format, guidelines and complete list of prompts.

8 comments:

  1. Great post!! Hope you’re staying healthy and having fun with your new pen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah the pencil is fun. You stay healthy too!

      Delete
  2. Excellent quote! The recipe for chicken soup looks delicious. Happy to hear that your grandson didn't have the flu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I do appreciate your comments:)

      Delete
  3. I loved the quotes and the soup sounds just so delicious!
    Hope your grandson is feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate your comments. And thanks for the well-wishes for my grandson. As it turns out, he ended up with the flu. Schools closed here until next Tuesday, trying to break this cycle of sickness. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kay,
    I love that Henri Nouwen quote! It's going into my commonplace notebook. :) Thanks for sharing. I am stopping by from the Simple Woman's Daybook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by! I appreciate your comments. I love that quote too:)

      Delete