Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanks!

"Our Father, fill our hearts, we pray, 
With gratitude Thanksgiving Day; 
For food and raiment Thou dost give, 
That we in comfort here may live." 
~Luther Cross, Thanksgiving Day

Daughter Kelly and sister Ann loading up their plates with our Thanksgiving feast.
Daughter Holly, granddaughter Shelby, and grandson Elijah 
Kelly and her hubby Kerry hosted our dinner once again this year. Thanks, you two! Everything was really nice.
Bro-in-law Terry pointing the way to the macaroni and cheese he made. It had double doses of every kind of cheese known to mankind. Seriously. And bacon! Yum!
Son-in-law Jerry says Hey while my hubby Neil is either ready to give him a big hug or showing him just how big the turkey is.
Shelby and Elijah digging in. And that plate full of food right there belongs to Holly who never met a turkey drumstick she didn't like.
Thanksgiving Feast. Turkey, dressing, ham, deviled eggs, grit casserole, potato casserole, mac and cheese (with bacon!), green beans, fruit salad, broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, and of course, cranberry sauce.
"Give me the end of the year an' its fun 
When most of the plannin' an' toilin' is done; 
Bring all the wanderers home to the nest, 
Let me sit down with the ones I love best, 
Hear the old voices still ringin' with song, 
See the old faces unblemished by wrong, 
See the old table with all of its chairs 
An' I'll put soul in my Thanksgivin' prayers." 
  ~Edgar A. Guest, Thanksgiving

Dessert! Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and chocolate pecan pie (hadn't made it to the table yet). After that meal, nobody had any room for it but we ate it anyway.
Shelby putting the finishing touches on her signature dessert ~ Candy Bar Caramel Apple Pie (not sure if that's the official name) made with Granny Smith apples and Snicker candy bars and (I think Cool Whip) and drizzled with caramel. It is my fave dessert, and it was totally decadent. 
We all enjoyed this fantastic feast and sitting around the table after we were stuffed, talking and laughing (mostly laughing) and never wanting to see another bite of food ever again.
Thanks to Kelly, Kerry, and Knox for hosting a great dinner and to everyone who made all that delicious food.
So thankful for those of us who could gather together this year and missed those who couldn't join us.
Thankful for so many people and so many things that bless my life every day.

Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind, 
for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.
Psalm 107:8-9


"I ate too much turkey,
I ate too much corn,
I ate too much pudding and pie,
I'm stuffed up with muffins
and much too much stuffin',
I'm probably going to die.

I piled up my plate
and I ate and I ate,
but I wish I had known when to stop,
for I'm so crammed with yams,
sauces, gravies, and jams
that my buttons are starting to pop.

I'm full of tomatoes
and french fried potatoes,
my stomach is swollen and sore,
but there's still some dessert,
so I guess it won't hurt
if I eat just a little bit more."
    ~Jack Prelutsky, I Ate Too Much

Happy Thanksgiving, America!

5 comments:

  1. We sure did miss being there! We missed the home-cooked stuff, but we had a nice meal and a good time in Chattanooga. We'll be at the table there next year, Lord willing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you guys too! Glad you enjoyed the day with the Foys. You got to walk after your meal. Ours was late in the afternoon. It was dark and cold by the time we were done. Yep, we'll do it all over again next year. Lord willing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved having everyone over!!! Full belly, fun times!!! Thanks to all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a delicious day filled with love.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete