Friday, August 22, 2014

“We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.” ~ David Mamet, Boston Marriage

IMG_4434
Nothing says Summer like a Lemon Ice Box Pie. It occurred to me a few days ago that Summer is nearly gone, and I had not made one of these pies. So I did. And we ate it. And it was delicious. So I made another one this evening.
IMG_4435
I use my mom’s recipe (probably her mom’s recipe) which is sinfully easy ~ only three ingredients, well, four if you count the graham cracker pie crust. 1 can of condensed milk (Eagle Brand!), 3 egg yolks, and the juice of 2 lemons.
IMG_4436
Mix all that together, pour it into a pie crust and chill in the fridge. For those of you who are reluctant to eat raw egg, you can heat the pie in a 350 degree oven for about 7 or 8 minutes and then chill it. Since I licked the bowl, that salmonella ship has sailed. No regrets.
IMG_4438
My mom used to make real whipped cream to top it off. I’m not that industrious. Cool Whip is just as yummy, although the pie really doesn’t need anything else. It’s Summer on a pie plate! Happy TGIF, everyone!
“Cut my pie into four pieces, I don’t think I could eat eight.”
~Yogi Berra

2 comments: